Waiting on the Weather

Today was the day the insurance adjuster came out to look at our “damage” from the storms and I can honestly say I don’t know any more now than I did before he got here. Probably the only difference is that I’m a little more frustrated.

 He had called last week and said he’d be here today between 9 and 11 this morning. He got here between 10 and 10:30. He came in and took a couple of pictures of the TV but never even bothered to plug it in or turn it on. Now we’re not making it up that the tv is broken but how does he know that? If that’s all he’s gonna do, if I were a dishonest person I could have lined up all kinds of electronic stuff and told him it wasn’t working! He never even tried to turn it on or ask me exactly what happened when it stopped working or anything. He just took pictures of the set turned off. I want to know what that is supposed to tell him other than what the set looks like. He never even asked if it was LCD or plasma or HD or anything like that.

Then he went into the kitchen where the ceiling is leaking and started taking pictures. I did tell him it showed up better with the lights off (as far as taking the pictures) but that you couldn’t really tell about the leaking inside the light fixture without turning it on. He never turned it back on. He just took pictures o the ceiling and walls and then came in the living room and started taking pictures and measurements in the living room. I asked him why and he said something about having to figure out how much they’d have to repaint.

My ceilingDoesn't it look lovely?


I asked him if he needed to have me show him where the garage was so that he could go up into the attic to find out where the water was actually coming in and he said that wouldn’t be necessary because they couldn’t really tell anything from inside the attic that they could find out whatever they needed from the roof… ok….

Then he takes his stuff and goes outside and tells me he will check the roof and a/c unit and come back in when he’s finished. Seriously, he hasn’t been outside two minutes when it starts pouring down rain! First time it’s really rained since the storms, or at least since I’ve been back from Virginia.

Next thing I know he’s back at the door telling me he’ll have to come back because it’s too dangerous to go up on the roof. Really? I’m just wondering why he didn’t to that first if he thought it was going to rain?

During his short time here I did find out that he lives in Texas and has been up here for several weeks assessing damage from the storm.  I’m just wondering why they don’t use local guys unless there is just so much damage that they don’t have enough people here?  Hopefully he will be back Wednesday but then he still has to write his “report” and send it to the actual person handling my claim to decide what they will cover. . . .

Well, rather than write another post, since I hadn’t published this one yet, I decided to just add to it.  He did come by on Wednesday.  Even though has late getting here he did show up.  He stayed outside for over an hour walking around the roof and taking pictures.  He walked around the entire house taking pictures of screens and the a/c unit, etc.

He did say that he thought that what happened with the roof was that the roof shingles overlap around the fan from the stove.  He said sort of like a rug that doesn’t lay exactly flat and you keep tripping over it?  Well, it’s sort of like that and since the shingles don’t lay completely flat it allowed the wind to get underneath it and he thinks it probably pulled them loose which allowed the rain to leak into the attic and pool and eventually through the roof.  On a good note he said he didn’t think there was any other damage.

He also said that pretty much it wasn’t up to him.  He has to turn it over to the claims adjuster who will get in touch with me in about 3 weeks….. THREE WEEKS??? Yep, I think that’s a long time to have to wait.  In the meantime he said it “might be helpful” to get letters or estimates from our a/c guy and a TV repairmen saying that the damage was or could have been caused by lightening or the power outages.  Since he didn’t bother to see if the TV even worked I guess that’s the next best thing.  I’ll let yall know in about a month I guess.  Keep your fingers crossed for us, please?


About pegbur7

South of the Mason/Dixon Line
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Waiting on the Weather

  1. terrepruitt says:

    Ok, fingers crossed. 🙂 It will all work out. I have faith. Hang in there!

  2. Ron says:

    OMG, I wonder if this guy would have been as ‘casual’ if this had happened to him???


    Yup, I’ll keep both my fingers and toes crossed for ya, Peg!

    (((( Peg ))))

    Have a great weekend, dear friend!


    • pegbur7 says:

      I’m sure if they’d put themselves in the homewoners positions they wouldn’t be so casual but I’m sure he’s also overwhelmed and considering what the people in Tuscaloosa went through… what we have is minimal.

  3. Spot says:

    Oh Peg! How frustrating! We are having a serious go round with our auto insurance about Mo’s car too! So frustrating when you pay your premiums faithfully and then they jerk you around. Fingers crossed for you that it all gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s