Home Sweet Home Pt 2

I was telling you yesterday about walking up to The Old Homeplace and then getting our produce shopping done.  When we got back to my cousin’s house she made us the most wonderful meatloaf dinner and she and I got to share a bottle of her wine that she makes herself and it was nice to be able to relax a few minutes because I knew the next day was going to be hectic.  We sat out on her deck and watched the deer with their babies walking through the woods at the edge of her property and it was so nice.  My hubby and her hubby got to talk a lot which was good because they got to know each other a lot better. 

The next morning we got up early so we could get a good start to go to Sam’s etc., to pick up the meat and rest of the stuff we needed for the party.  First I got to sit on the back deck and drink my coffee and watch the baby deer with their mommy grazing in the woods.  Seriously they were only like 25 yards from where I was sitting.  They were so precious. 

We got dressed and left but stopped at a little diner for breakfast and had a wonderful breakfast that was quick and filling for less than $12 for both of us!  We couldn’t believe how cheap it was.  We were headed to another cousin’s house to cook because her guest house has a Wolf stove just like we do at home and hubby knew he’d be able to spread out and not bother anyone while he prepped his chicken and cooked off the noodles and stuff of the mac and cheese.  Plus since this was her guest house she had much more fridge space than any of my other relatives. 

Hubby's got his stock pots going


We had gotten about halfway between the two cousins’ houses (they live about 40 or 45 miles apart) when we realized we had forgotten to get the two 5 pound bags of cheese out of the first cousin’s refrigerator in her basement that we were going to need, so, after we got to my other cousin’s house and unloaded she and I went to the grocery store to buy cheese! I figured it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy more than to drive all the way back to get what we’d left.   We went to two different stores to get the cheese.  The first store had NO mild cheddar AT ALL and at the second we ended up getting block cheddar.  Thankfully my cousin offered to help me shred it so we spent the better part of the next several hours shredding cheese. 

Hubby cooking in my cousins guest kitchen


She had to go back to work for a few hours so then I peeled and sliced about 25 or 30 cucumbers and washed and cut lots of tomatoes.  Before I knew it, it was time to leave to go back to the first cousin’s house to meet the kids.  My cousins live on opposite sides of Afton Mountain off Interstate 64.  It is a very beautiful drive and I really wanted to pull over and take a picture of the valley below the Interstate.  You know how you have those “feelings”?  Well, I ignored mine.  The first overlook I was in the left lane and driving that big truck I didn’t want to change lanes suddenly.  I knew another one was coming up shortly but I was being selfish because I wanted to see my girls so I didn’t stop.  I should have.  I couldn’t find a good picture but I found this cool You Tube video from fall of 2007 showing the view from the overlook. 

I get to my cousin’s and it’s about 7 or 7:30 p.m. and her driveway is very long and very shaded.  It’s like you’re driving through the middle of the woods.  I was being very cognizant of my surroundings because of all the deer with their fawns.  I wasn’t talking on my phone. I wasn’t drinking anything, not even water!  Just to quantify that statement, I do NOT drink and drive, AT ALL, but I was just letting you know that I was being EXTRA careful.  So, I’m driving down her long driveway taking the wide turn when I see a baby deer run across in front of me.  I don’t remember swerving but I guess I must have instinctively because the next thing I  know I feel this big bump and my first thought was I hit another one following that one.  Then I hear a scrape. OH CRAP!!! I stop and get out to survey the damage.  I didn’t even see that frigging tree.  AND it curves out on the bottom so…all I gotta say is it’s a good thing hubby and I put an extra $500 to the side in case we needed extra money for the party. Our deductible definitely ate that up in one fell swoop.  Here’s the damage: 

Now that's an oopsie!


rear door and back panel... when I do it, I do it good!


I was more pissed at myself than anything. I mean, if I had stopped to take those pics I would have been about 5 minutes later and those deer would have already crossed the road. But, then again, who knows what might have happened. It could have been something worse. It all turned out fine. I got to eat dinner with two of my three and made it back over the mountain with no incidents. 

We had to get up EARLY the next morning to load up the truck and head to the party.  We got there about 8:15 A.M. and hit the floor running.  We cooked and ran all day long.  Hubby grabbed SC’s eldest as soon as he walked in the door and took him in the kitchen and started teaching him how to make the cheese sauce for the mac and cheese and the cobblers.  I sent her younger son, Dirtman and #3’s bf to my parents to pick up the bottled waters we had left there.  I started making the tea and coffee and SC and #2 and #3 started putting out the table cloths and setting up extra chairs.  When they got back with the waters they all helped in the kitchen.  Hubby had them all working hard and anyone says that today’s generations is lazy and doesn’t work definitely was NOT in that kitchen!  Those kids worked their butts off!  I am so proud of my kids (and the BF) and SuziCate’s kids that I can’t stand it!  They are some hard working kids. 

My mom and dad right after they got there. Aren't they cute in their matching colors?


I spent the majority of my time corralling the different families to have their pictures taken together.  It was like herding cats or trying to nail jello to a tree.  If you got these members together then left to go find one missing member then someone else would disappear.  I think we finally got most everyone’s picture taken.  Let’s just say by the end of the evening we were ALL very tired puppies.  I felt like I could barely put one foot in front of the other.  We went back to the first cousin’s house for the night and all of us were too tired to do much of anything. 

The next morning my cousin got up bright and early and made us a breakfast to die for! She had sausage links and bacon and scrambled eggs, biscuits, fruit and her famous potato cakes!  Hubby loves the potato cakes!! After cleanup and pack up we got to go back and see my mom and dad for about an hour or so before we had to head to my friend, Margie’s house, who had taken all the pictures the day before.  We had a great evening with Margie and her hubby and grandson before we had to leave the next day to come back to Georgia.  

We had a whirlwind week and even ended up making record time back home.  Now I’m just trying to recuperate and wait for the pictures to arrive!  Oh, and when we pulled into our subdivision this is what we saw: 

Mama deer crossing the road with her three fawn at the front of our subdivision.


I swear I think it’s a conspiracy!


About pegbur7

South of the Mason/Dixon Line
This entry was posted in Just Life, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Home Sweet Home Pt 2

  1. Heather says:

    Wow, that was one busy week! Your family gatherings sound like ours, everybody pitches in and gives a helping hand.

    I can’t get over the “guest house”, I mean wow! I thought those were only in the movies!

    The deer are out to test your driving skills! LOL!

  2. Jenny says:

    I’m glad you’re okay!! The things we do for family…. I’m sure your mom and dad very much appreciated it and are very proud of you too.

  3. Ron says:

    OMG, Peg…when I saw that last photo of the deer at the front of your subdivision, I went, “HOLY MOLY….she’s right, it IS a conspiracy!!!”

    I’m so glad you’re okay. I mean I know it’s a major bummer about your car, however at least nothing happened to you, dear friend!

    Or should I say, DEER friend? – HA!

    LOVED watching the video. Beautiful view of the mountains!

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time. The photo of your mom and dad is so precious!

    Hope you’re enjoying a wonderful Saturday!


    • pegbur7 says:

      The bummer is that it WASN’T our car. It was a rental. I felt awful! I never get the insurance, I just use ours because I’ve always felt it was a wast of money… Live and learn! Hope you are deerly enjoying your weekend! HA!

  4. Jimmy says:

    Busy week there Peg, that guest kitchen is awesome I bet Hubby loved that.

    Now for my question after you hit the tree did you see the deer off to the side giving each other a high five like the squirrels in the insurance commercial?–sorry just trying to get a grin from you 🙂

  5. LisaF says:

    What a great chance to walk down memory lane, even it the lane is a little different these days. Enjoyed reading your memories and the party between the two posts. The scene that greeted you when you got home is one I see on a regular basis as we live along a “deer run”!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s