So. I am sitting here in my living room Wednesday evening, blogging as usual, when I notice that my gum molar area on the right bottom side of my mouth feels a little “weird”. I don’t even know how to describe it other than just weird. Didn’t really hurt or anything just felt weird. So I get up and go to the bathroom and realize that the crown is loose! DAMMIT JIM! Another loose crown. That makes what? THREE this year? I knew I was in for probably some extensive dental work later in life but dang…. Already? At this rate I’ll be toothless by 55.
I immediately called the dentist and made an appointment for yesterday afternoon at 3. They said they would work me in. I babied the area all Wednesday evening and yesterday morning/afternoon. I finally get in to see him and he’s like, yeah, it’s REAL loose. He said he wanted xrays. It was funny because his “regular assistant” was not the one who came in at first to take the xrays and stuff and when the regular came in she laughed and said when the other girl came back where they were and asked if he just wanted to take a normal xray because she thought it was going to be a simple re-cement of a loose crown, the “regular” one said she laughed out loud and said “You did say this was Peg, right? And since when is anything EVER normal with her?” Truer words were never spoken.
I asked him if he considered me a “difficult” patient of just a “challenging” patient. I guess that was kind of a loaded question but hey, I’m menopausal… sue me. He said he definitely would NOT consider me a “difficult” patient but certainly “challenging” but not in a bad way. SMART man! He knows how to talk his way around a hormonal woman with a loaded question!
So he comes back in to pull the crown off and now it doesn’t want to come off. Of course. He’s pulling and pulling and finally it comes off…. With almost the entire tooth inside it! Double Dammit Jim! Didn’t leave him a WHOLE lot to work with and since that is like the 10th or 12th crown in my feeble little head and NO teeth from that point back on that side of the bottom of my mouth there is absolutely NO stability left there. I am assuming that is probably why it broke underneath and was loose to begin with since there is nothing to stabilize it on the other side. I know it has been feeling “off” for a few days but it just starting feeling really weird.
He asked if I had heard a big crack or pop and I honestly don’t remember hearing/feeling anything like that but who knows. I just know my options at this point are not exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like my options are to either try to clean up what’s left of the tooth as best he can and TRY to attach a new crown to the tune of about $1,400 or implant, to the tune of probably 3 times that, or pull the tooth and get a partial which will take care of all the teeth I happen to be missing on the bottom for about $1,400 or $1,500. I already have had a root canal on that tooth in the past and I really can’t see putting that much money into saving what little is left of that tooth since it’s so unstable and he can’t guarantee it will hold. For now I had him just re-cement THAT crown back on what was left of the tooth.
I’m thinking my best option at this point, even though I know it’s always best to save any tooth that you can, is to wait until late December or January and pull the tooth and get the partial. I’m just hoping I can make this “fix” of re-cementing the original crown temporarily will hold until then. I have already almost exhausted my dental insurance for the year since this is the THIRD crown to be fixed/replaced this year and it starts over in January I can probably have insurance pay most of the partial if I can wait until then to have the broken tooth pulled. He told me that the insurance will most likely not cover it unless I have the tooth pulled at the time we do the partial.
So any ideas or opinions out there that my astute bloggy friends want to share that might be an option I didn’t think of? I don’t think I’m gonna be winning the lottery this weekend so unfortunately money IS a large factor. You know I appreciate all your input. I shall gingerly await your comments full of profound wisdom because I sure need it right now. I go back in two weeks… IF this fix lasts that long.