My Trifecta

So yesterday I finally broke down and went to the doctor. I say I hit the Trifecta. I told my husband I thought it was 3 different things and it was exactly what I said it was. I had meant to go to the doctor on Friday when the regular office was still open but honestly didn’t even feel good enough to force myself to get ready to go. This all started about a week or more ago. Yeah, a few days after I got back from visiting with my sick friend. But that’s ok. She needed me and I’d do it all again tomorrow if she asked. 

Anyway, it started with just a general lousy feeling like I had a virus or something. Stomach stuff and headache and achiness. I finally broke down and started taking that sniffling, sneezing, aching, coughing, stuffy head, fever how the hell did I wake up on my kitchen floor night time medicine and it wasn’t doing anything to make me feel better. Then last Tuesday or so I guess, I started losing my voice. I told Hubby it was his birthday present. In honor of his birthday I haven’t been hardly able to talk for almost a week now. Woo hoo! He’s been in heaven. But he doesn’t get it. When the kids call, I’ve been trying to give him the phone to relay any message because you really can’t understand me over the phone and he says whatever he needs to say and then goes “OK, here’s your ma!” DUH! I gave YOU the phone because I can’t talk! 

We were supposed to go to Savannah for his birthday and I honestly was just not up to it. He wasn’t feeling well either so we decided to put it off until we both feel up to it. We are supposed to go to Wilmington this week so I’m hoping I’m better by then! On his birthday I don’t think either of us went any further than the mailbox. We felt that bad. Thursday we felt a little better and he wanted to see #3 in action at her new job so we drove the hour out to Alpharetta so he could see her work and it was all I could do to drive back. I’ll tell you how bad I felt…. Friday night we went out to a Mexican restaurant and I ordered a margarita and I think it was still over half full when we left. Nothing has really tasted right either. 

Saturday morning I awoke to my right eye crusted shut and my left eye not much better. GREAT! I called the doctor’s office because hubby thought they had Saturday morning hours but apparently not. I called about 3 different ones before he said to just go to the “doc in a box” as we call it. I told him I was NOT going to go to the one that almost killed him (another post sometime) so I went to a newer one. They open at 9 but I had to go to the bank and run a couple of errands first so I got there a little before 10. There were only two people in the waiting room. One they called back almost immediately and the other they called up to the desk to tell she was going to have to come back Monday because she didn’t have her paper work right, whatever that meant. I ended up sitting there 30 minutes in an empty waiting room. See? 

Empty waiting room - why does it take 30 minutes?


Oh, and there is a BIG sign on the wall in yellow that says if you have a cough you need to wear a mask. So, I had to go to the front desk and ask for a mask. I already had on sunglasses because I was pretty sure I had conjunctivitis (pink eye, which is VERY contagious). And then I had to go pee in a cup. While I was in the bathroom I caught sight of myself in the mirror and scared myself. Wouldn’t this scare you too? 

Who IS that masked woman?


I finally get in the exam room and after she takes my vitals the doctor finally comes in. He looks young enough to be my son which was disturbing enough. After discussing my symptoms and listening to my back and chest he said he’d like to take some xrays. I get to put on my beautiful hospital type gown and they take 6 xrays. 3 each of my chest/lungs and 3 of my sinuses. I asked her if she was just trying to ascertain that I still had a brain? At least I made her laugh. Then the doctor comes back in and tells me (just what I had thought) that I have a sinus infection, bronchitis and conjunctivitis (from the sinus infection, he said). At least it wasn’t pneumonia! Then they give me a shot and give me two prescriptions and sent me on my way. 

The thing I really wanted to know and asked him was: I have always heard that bronchitis is NOT contagious… then how come my friend had bronchitis and now I have bronchitis if it’s not contagious? He tried to give me some mumbo jumbo about how bronchitis itself is not contagious but the virus that sometimes causes it is. Isn’t that the same thing? Same results anyway! 

#1 and her hubby


So, yesterday and today #1 and her hubby were here visiting from Nashville. I tried to wear my mask most of the time so they wouldn’t catch it and as hard as it was not to hug on her I tried to keep at arm’s length. Plus, they weren’t here a lot because they had a wedding to go to last night and then went to the Braves game today. BUT, SIL was so impressed with my inability to talk that he told me to take my mask off and give #1 a BIG nice hug before they left. Hmmmnnnn sounds like he wants a little quiet around the house! 

I'm so jealous. Daddy got good hugs and I couldn't!


About pegbur7

South of the Mason/Dixon Line
This entry was posted in Just Life, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to My Trifecta

  1. terrepruitt says:

    Poor you. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks to be sick.

  2. suzicate says:

    You sounded so bad the other day. I sure hope you’re up and gabbing soon…that’s too long for a Carter to go without talking. Oh yeah, you have hands to use, so that might help some! Hope you feel better.

  3. dwight says:

    1 sad dinner at Mexican resturant $30
    1 visit to see #2 in action $70
    3 great days alone with my wonderful wife

    Even sick your are the best company!

    Love Dwight

  4. Alaina says:

    I love the medicine name you’ve given Nyquil…and yeah, I don’t get the whole waiting for 30 minutes thing in an empty waiting room either. I love how they always bring you back to the room after 30 minutes, and you then have to wait 30 more for the doctor back there.

    Hope you feel better!

    • pegbur7 says:

      Thank you. I think I’m on the upside of it. I’ve had 3 days of antibiotics now and a “productive” cough (YUCK!) and every once in a while the voice squeaks out so I think I’ll be better by the weekend. I’m just being “whiny poopy crappy” as we used to tell the kids when they were little. 😉

  5. I’m really glad you didn’t let it go on too long, Peg. I hate going to doctors too, but in this case, it really wouldn’t have gotten better on its own. I hate pink eye! Hate it! Hate it!

    • pegbur7 says:

      Yeah, the ONLY reason I went ahead and went was because we are supposed to go to Wilmington Thursday and I didn’t want to get my friends sick and I didn’t want it to turn to pneumonia which I have had several times and ended up in the hospital with the last time and I hate hospitals worse than doctors offices so it was the lesser of two evils!

  6. Hope you feel better! (Have a sinus infection myself.) 🙂

    • pegbur7 says:

      Thanks Jen. I hope you feel better too. Don’t you hate it when you breathe in and feel like the top of your head if going to explode? LOVELY!!!

  7. Jane says:

    Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! There is nothing worse than a summer cold. Hope you feel better soon!

  8. Ron says:

    OMG…I CANNOT believe they had you put on a face mask?!?! I mean especially since there was no one else in the waiting room.

    (however, purple looks lovely on you)

    There is nothing worst than being sick during the summer, I totally agree. Somehow the heat makes me feel worse.

    So glad to hear it wasn’t pneumonia – wheeew!

    Sending you LOTS of postitive energy with this comment for a speedy recovery, my dear friend!

    {{{{ Peg }}}}


    P.S. love Dwights comment!

  9. Heather says:

    I love Dwight’s comment. Yall sound like newlyweds instead of an old married couple. Even my great hubby doesn’t get that sweet with his words!

    Hope you get to feeling better soon!

  10. OH, what a photo! And bronchitis is contagious in that the virus or bug that causes it can jump to someone else. Whether they end up with bronchitis or just a cold or whatever, is probably what he was being nitpicky about.
    Feel better!

    • pegbur7 says:

      That was my thinking. At least with me anyway. My lungs seem to be my weakest link and when I get sick that is where it ends up! boo! Thanks for the well wishes.

  11. Jimmy says:

    “bronchitis itself is not contagious but the virus that sometimes causes it is”

    I’m with you on this one Peg, I asked Cindy and she said the same thing you did about hearing this.

    Hope you feel better soon and get the good hugs next time.

  12. Angelia Sims says:

    Oh my gosh! You poor thing! I would have hugged you anyway then used a lot of anti-bacterial gel. 🙂

    Hope that shot and medicine fixed you right up. It’s funny because I never go to a “real doc” just the Carenow by the house. It’s just more convenient, plus one of the doctors graduated with Jason.

  13. LisaF says:

    I’ve had a version of this for 3 weeks! Antibiotics got rid of the mother-of-all sore throats, but the cough is still hanging around. We are just passing it back and forth in the house.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s